Riding the Bus and Safety Guidelines
Bus Route Information
Bus route information will be posted at the school during the C-L Elementary meet the teacher night and the 7th grade high school orientation in August. Please verify your child’s busing information prior to the first day of school.
Riding the School Bus
- Students are assigned one morning and one afternoon bus run, Monday thru Friday, this may be different buses.
- Students must ride their assigned bus.
- Students must board and exit the bus at their assigned bus stop.
- Students may not ride another bus route to or from school with another student for any reason.
- Notes from parents granting a student permission to get on or off at any other stop other than their assigned stop will not be honored.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for transporting students to or from a friend’s house –students may only ride their assigned buses. No Exceptions.
- Parents/Guardians requesting to change their child’s bus stop must do so using the transportation request form to the Transportation Coordinator with a minimum of 3 days’ notice. A separate transportation request form is required for each student.
- If you have moved, please notify the high school and/or elementary office in addition to filling out a new transportation form at least 3 days prior to the change. Parents/guardians will have to self-transport until busing changes has been confirmed by the school.
At Your Assigned Bus Stop
- Be ready and waiting outside for your bus five (5) minutes prior to your pick-up time.
- The bus driver is not expected to stop the bus and traffic unless they see the student. Be outside and be visible!!
- Be on time to be courteous to other motorists and fellow students that are waiting for the bus
- Students who have to walk to their assigned bus stop–
- Use a direct route from home to the bus stop and from the bus stop to home.
- Do not accept a ride to the bus stop from another person.
- When possible, please remain on a sidewalk.
- Walk facing traffic.
- When crossing the road/street–
- Look left, right, and left before crossing, listen for other vehicles.
- Make sure that are no vehicles or that all vehicles have stopped completely before crossing the road.
- Wear bright colored clothing, to increase visibility to motorists.
- When waiting for the bus–stand at least then (10) feet from the edge of the roadway whenever possible.
- Never stand in the road!!
- Never walk towards a moving school bus–wait for the bus to stop and for the doors to open.
- Respect other people’s property and be respectful and courteous to other people waiting at the bus stop.
- Parents/Guardians should accompany students to/from the bus stop whenever possible especially elementary students.
- School rules apply to student behavior while at bus stops.
- Consult student handbooks for school rules.
- Over sized items including over sized backpacks, over sized athletic bags, and large musical instruments are not permitted on any school bus due to safety concerns associated with delays and difficulty during the boarding process and our inability to safely secure larger items in the seating area.
- Students must be able to carry his/her belongings with ease and hold their belongings on their lap–not in a seat or aisle which could block emergency exits in the event of an emergency.
Boarding the Bus
- The yellow flashing bus lights indicates that the bus is approaching a bus stop. Don’t walk towards the bus when the yellow lights are flashing.
- The red flashing bus lights indicates that the bus is stopped at a school bus stop.
- All motorists are required to come to a complete stop and remain stopped until the red warning lights are turned off.
- When the bus driver opens the door completely, students may board the bus.
- Be orderly–no pushing or shoving.
- Students may need to cross the road in front of the bus.
- Wait for the driver to signal you to cross the street.
- Stop, look and listen before crossing the street.
- Walk at least ten (10) feet in front of the bus. Student should always be visible to the driver.
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- Always use the handrail to avoid falling on the steps of the bus.
- Find your assigned seat and sit down immediately (back to seat back, and bottom on the seat). Keep all hands, objects and personal belongings to yourself.
- Remain seated until the bus arrives at your destination–school or home.
- When the bus driver closes the door and the red lights are not flashing, the bus will begin to move away from the bus stop.
- NEVER run or walk towards the school bus after the doors have closed.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for taking students to school who miss the bus.
- Do not follow the bus to another bus stop location, your child will not be allowed to board at any stop other than their assigned bus stop.
Exiting the Bus
- The bus driver will determine the best way for students to exit the bus in an orderly manner.
- The reverse procedures apply as the “Boarding the Bus” section above.
- Students should go home immediately after exiting the school bus at their assigned bus stop.
Safety is of utmost importance for our students as we transport them to and from school and for school sponsored activities. Each bus driver will have their own bus rules posted and enforced their buses of which they review with their students. Additional student school bus code of behavior can be found in the student handbook.
Student’s failure to comply with the code of conduct may result in school personnel issuing one or more of the following consequences:
- Verbal warning = change in seat assignment.
- Written School Bus Conduct Report.
- Written notification from the school vehicle driver to the building Principal and the parent/guardian.
- The school Principal determines which disciplinary step(s) will be taken in response to the report.
- Parent/Guardian cooperation is greatly appreciated in addressing student behavioral issues.